2016 turned out to be a great year for gaming, with Dishonored 2, The Witness, Doom, Overwatch, Superhot, Thumper, Hyper Light Drifter, Cogmind, Devil Daggers, Furi, Brigador, Age of Empires 2 HD keeping me entertained throughout most of the year.
Which games am I looking forward to in 2017? Below follows my personal list.
- Big budget titles: Prey and Red Dead Redemption 2, of course, as well as Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of war III.
- I might give Tales of Berseria a spin, though I’m not normally one for JRPG’s.
- Yooka-Laylee: hope this one will be a lot of childlike fun.
- The Church In The Darkness looks interesting thanks to its procedurally-generated cult story.
- Described as a love child between GTA I and Syndicate Wars, Tokyo 42 certainly looks interesting.
- Thimbleweed Park might be one of the adventure games I try this year, thanks to Ron Gilbert being at the helm and Mark Ferrari doing the visuals. Mark has a great talk about 8bit art that you absolutely should watch right now!
- Frozen Synapse 2; I was a fan of the original so this will be worth checking out.
- Constructor HD, as I’m a sucker for nostalgia-meets-HD releases.
- Kingdoms and Castles, mainly since its art direction is positively adorable.
- Tower 57 is a twin stick shooter with 16-bit inspired pixel art, destructible environments, and a heavy focus on co-op.
- Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition: not sure yet about this one, since I already own the original and don’t think it’s fair having to rebuy it. Also I’m not that much of a Gearbox fan anymore lately.
- Strafe and Dusk: two beautiful oldskool gory Quake-like shooters.
- Eitr: an action RPG with exceptional combat.
- RIOT - Civil Unrest has been on my list for a few years now but it might finally see a release this year.
- Manifold Garden: also an ealier-seen entry, (formerly known as Relativity.)
- Drift Stage: also an older entry. Still not sure about the release date but still like the art style. Wings of Saint Nazaire is also still on the list, as is Irkalla and Before (which finally got a trailer up).
- Earlier I wrote about Mirror’s Edge 2 as something I was looking forward to without “having high hopes”… well that turned out to be right.
- In a similar vein, I wrote about No Man’s Sky: “of course I am including it in this list. Of course I’m worried about it like everyone else.” Well that certainly turned out to be a distaster.